Saturday, August 7, 2010

6 weeks

Holden graduated into a crib this last week.

What a big boy!

Look at those cheeks. Can't wait to kiss them off!

sweet little holden...
I can't believe it has been six weeks already. It really has flown by. Here is a little update on our little guy.
He now weighs...
4 pounds 12 ounces!
He is chunkin out big time. He has had kind of an interesting week. It is a long story but I will try and do my best to sum it all up. Holden was retaining more than normal fluid. He was starting to swell up a little so the Nurse Practitioner decided to start him on a diuretic to help release some of that fluid and then also get an ultrasound of his heart to see how that was. Turns out that in the ultrasound there was a little bit of fluid surrounding his heart. Because of that they continued the diuretic to release some of that fluid and they also scheduled an appointment for a cardiologist to come down and check out his heart. Well, the cardiologist came and found that his heart wasn't contracting as hard as she would like. She called it a "low normal". Because that is concerning she started him on a med that will help his little heart contract harder and in turn release some of that fluid. I asked her how long he would be on the medicine for his heart and if it was treatable and she said that he could be on it for a year and that babies usually do grow out of it. She explained that it isn't very common but she has seen it plenty before and knows how to treat it. That gave me a little peace of mind. I have sort of been a stress case because no one wants to hear that their baby has a heart problem, no matter how big or small, it is scary.
Well turns out that the cardiologist wants to keep Holden on that med for a year now because it is working so well. Within four days on the medicine they noticed a big improvement. I was shocked that he would need it for a year, but as long as he can grow out of it, I am fine. I am praying that he will be able to grow out of it. They ran a bunch of blood tests on him to see what the cause was. All of the tests came back negative but a couple. One was a low normal and not too concerning because they can supplement what he needs and it is no big deal, the other was a negative positive for parvo. They said that if he has it, he will most likely just grow out of it and it won't cause any real harm because it would have already done that and they would have noticed. His symptoms don't show that he has had any struggle. So they are running a few more tests to see if he has it or not. Either way, there is nothing they can do for it and I will have some answers as to why his heart has this problem. I am still praying it comes back negative. The strange thing about all of this is that Holden would have had this problem with his heart regardless, whether it be now or if he was born full term. In fact the doctors told me that it would have probably gotten a lot worse if he was born at 40 weeks. Crazy.
I am glad the medicine is helping his heart and I pray that it will continue to help him and that he will really grow out of this. It is an uneasy feeling but overall I think he will be okay. Other than his heart he is doing great.
He is starting to do non-nutiritive feeding {that is where you pump everything out before you breastfeed and just see if they can latch on}. Holden did really well. In fact he did so good that he was able to suck 9mls the third time we did it. I guess that is really impressive knowing that breast feeding is one of the hardest hurdles in the NICU. Holden handled that like a rockstar.
The eye doctor came and looked at his eyes and said they look great. Just a little premature but everything looks normal. Phew!
He has another appointment with the cardiologist this week just to check up on him. I am pretty optomistic at this point and I pray that she will be as well when she comes to check him out.
Thank you all for your prayers and please know we love them and need them.
We were told that Holden is out of the most critical time which is nice. I am anxious to see what these next few weeks bring. Like I said before, I pray that he can continue to progress. So far just one bump in the road and we are still cruisin. Please keep up those prayers.
Thank you and we will keep you posted.
{scroll down a little for Lennon's 2 year birthday post. Man I love him.}

6 comments:

Candace said...

Hey, I found your blog through the 5 questions one and I just wanted to tell you how amazing you are! And your little boys are so handsome... My baby was in the NICU and it was the scariest few days of my life. I cannot imagine doing what you are doing, but keep it up and good luck!! Lots of love

Chris Capua said...

I love this little guy. I can't wait to come see you this week. Always thinking of you guys.

ryan + carly said...

such a cute little guy. he looks so much like you rach! i love him. we are still praying for you and hope to see you next time we are in utah.

Rebecca said...

Hey Rachel. I hope you don't mind me peeping on your blog. Jordan has told me what you guys have been going through with your little Holden. He is so adoreable and Lennon is serously the most handsome little boy I have ever seen. Really. I am sorry for all you and B have had to go through to get your little man here. I am so glad that things just seem to keep getting better. You are an awesome Mom.

steph heartjustin said...

wow talk about a tear jerker! rach you really are an amazing person, friend, and most loving mother. wow. hugs and kisses xoxo

Auntie Elaine said...

Your family is INCREDIBLE - all of you. B looks like such a stud dad next to Holden. Lennon is way too grown up for being 2 and way too cute!! Holden is one tough warrior - he will be tough as nails sooner than later. YOU, Miss Rachel are awesome!!! What a warrior princess YOU have been through this experience bringing Holden into the world It was so nice to see you on Saturday. :-) Thanks for the updates! I'll keep the prayers going if you keep the GREAT updates coming! What a deal. Love you all!

precious

precious