Tuesday, July 27, 2010

5 weeks and four pounds...



{isn't he sweet?}

Holden is now 5 weeks and some.

He is also just a little over four pounds and gaining every day. It is so nice to see some meat on his bones. He is really so sweet.



He is still on the high flow nasal cannula and they have been trying to ween him down. He didn't like it at first and they were having to keep him at four liters. The nurses noticed that he may have acid reflux and that could be why he isn't able to tolerate less oxygen. I noticed that as well. During every feeding toward the end he seemed to have a harder time breathing because he was trying to keep his food down. After noticing that {i guess it is extremely common in all babies} they started him on prevacid which helps to control that. After they started him on that medication he seemed to do a lot better and they were eventually able to ween him to three liters. We are now waiting for him to ween to two and they might get brave and try that today. He was on two and a half on Sunday and had to go back up to three after five hours. I think it wore him out. He was also a little swollen and seemed to be retaining more fluid than normal. They started him on a diuretic so he could pee that off and it seemed to be working. He is less swollen and it is also easier to breathe. They did an ultrasound of his heart yesterday because he was swollen and turns out he had more fluid then they wanted and it was a good thing they started him on the diuretics. They are going to have a heart doctor come look at him on Thursday to see if we should continue with the diuretics or if he has shed most of the fluid and it is okay to discontinue. His heart seems to be fine, they just want to be sure. I don't know how I feel about that. I guess a little nervous. I just want my little guy to progress and eventually get out of there. Right now it is his oxygen. I pray that he will tolerate the lower flow and is able to come off that quickly... you can pray too ;) As soon as he is down one more liter then I can start breast feeding.



Other than his oxygen he is doing great. He is able to tolerate his feedings and gain weight appropriately, he is also able to maintain his own body temp, he is alert when he should be, etc. Everyday that passes I become more and more attached. I love Holden and pray he will continue to hang in there. Thank you all for your support. Please keep him in your prayers. I know that is what is pulling this guy through.



thanks again.

10 comments:

melimba said...

hey rachel,
i found your blog through sarah and annie's blogs. your little holden looks to be a little fighter!
Good luck with everything. We're praying for you guys here in Texas.
love, melis

kelsey.bj.addi said...

rachel you are so inspiring to me i just want you to know that!! so much strength and faith! thanks for updating i'm always thinkin about lil lloyd. i like lloyd that's my pops name. anyway he's in my prayers often! take care

Azy said...

Rachel
HOlden is so precious! Four lbs! this little man is such a strong one! Can't even imagine what you must still be going through. Hope your doing well you guys are still in our prayers like always. LOVE YOU XO

Jeff and Brandi said...

What a little fighter.That is so awesome that he has been doing so well. Already 4 lbs...what a chunk!

Jeff and Brandi said...

What a little fighter.That is so awesome that he has been doing so well. Already 4 lbs...what a chunk!

Jamie said...

That picture is incredible! He looks so much like Lennon at that age! Oh, I just wanna squeeze that face! I know you do too! I pray for you everyday (you know that right?). I know it's so hard not to worry, but just remember that the Lord is on your side. I HAVE to go see him soon!!!!!!

Meg said...

We will keep you and Holden in our prayers. What a sweet boy, sweet family, sweet mother. Good luck and keep fighting Holden!

Shantell said...

I love that picture with his eyes wide open! So cute! Let us know how the heart doctor goes. We won't be able to make it tomorrow! I am so sad. Give L a kiss from us and we will bring something to him on Sunday!

Ang said...

Oh Rach, he is so precious. I just wanna squeeze him. I show everyone at work his pictures and they love it. They always ask how he is. I hate that I can't be in Utah and see him. It breaks my heart.I miss you guys so much, your blog makes me so homesick.
Miss you Love you Ang

Unknown said...

Rachel and Brandon,
I am so glad to see the progress Holden is making each week. He is so dang cute and he looks like he is doing very well. Jonique and I are not in the blog world but we like to check up on our friends who have blogs. Thanks for sharing his progress. It was good to see you guys at Aarons service. You are looking great Rachel! I cant believe you just had your baby. Tell B. hi and know your little family has truely been in our prayers since you had him. Best, Tig

precious

precious