Tuesday, July 6, 2010

2 weeks down

holden lloyd
{isn't he precious?!}

I have been meaning to update but my life seems to be insane lately. Holden turned two weeks on Sunday. In a way it seems like it is going by fast, but on the other hand, it seems like a year. I feel like I already know him so well.

As far as Holden goes, he is doing exceptionally well. He is on a nasal cannula still. I am shocked. I thought that he would bounce back to the ventilator but so far he is shocking us all. He is pooping and peeing like he should, they did his ten day brain scan and everything came back NORMAL. No brain bleeds!! {Those are extremely common in preemies} I was so glad to hear that. He is on his full feedings and tolerating them well. He is gaining weight and already passed his birthweight. He lost a lot of weight there in the beginning. I desperately wanted him to start gaining. He is just so so small... cute but small. These last couple of days he has had a little set back.

He got an infection.

They caught it fast and were able to start him on antibiotics. I am just hoping that can clear up soon and am crossing my fingers all will be okay. It truly is a roller coaster. The nurses and doctors are still pleased with his progress and they say in spite of his infection he doesn't seem to act sick. He is still responding normally. The one thing that was kind of frustrating was they were taking him off the high flow cannula and going to put him on the regular cannula, but with his infection he needed to be put back on the high flow. I still can't complain. I feel so blessed that he has been able to hold his own. Honestly, it is shocking. I was talking to one of our favorite nurses, Linda {all the nurses are great, I just love how Linda takes special interest in Holden} and she was saying that they were not expecting Holden to do nearly as well as he is. She said that it was extremely abnormal. I will take it!! I know this is going to be one crazy ride and we have already had one bump in the road, hoping that it will pass soon with no permanent damage, but all in all I fell blessed to be able to watch my little one grow. I love him. He is a special spirit already. I know that he is doing well because of all the love and support people have shown. He has so many people praying for him.

Please continue to pray. He needs them.

I will always feel so indebted to you all. I will definitely keep everyone updated on a more regular basis. I am just trying to figure out how to balance everything. Lennon is doing great and so is B. We really can't complain. Thanks again for your positive vibes! Please keep up those prayers.

6 comments:

Auntie Elaine said...

Thanks for the update and good news! I've missed our visits, but I'm sure you keep busy between YOU getting stronger, reconnecting with Lennon and connecting with Holden. You and B are SO inspiring!!! Hang in there and we'll keep praying! love ya!

annie and jared said...

yay rach.. i was actually going to call you tonight for an update. I am so happy he is still on HFNC.. but the infection is not good news :( did they draw cultures and they came back positive, or was he just acting sick? I still want to come see him, I work tomorrow night, but maybe I could see him friday or sometime next week? let me know. hang in there!

Colorado Smarts said...

Rachel and B...congrats once again on little Holden. He is super precious and I love your miracle story. It is such a great reminder that our prayers are answered and that Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us. I've been keeping tabs on you from Bri and Pam. Stay strong and we'll keep the prayers coming for your sweet family!!

Angie

Heather Lee said...

Rachel, I just updated myself...I had to go back to when your water broke! I am at a loss for words, I can not imagine what you've been going through. I am so glad that I read this post very first to know that your baby is looking good. He is so cute! I will put you and your little family in my prayers! You are one strong mama! And he is one strong baby!!! It must have been all that mental endurance Coach Eddy instilled in your mind=)

Jeff and Brandi said...

Thanks for the update! What a little trooper, but Dang those infections. They sneak up just when you think everything is awesome. So goes the NICU experience...can't get outta there without at least one infection. Stay strong! I hope the weeks fly by and you have everyone under the same roof soon!

Shantell said...

Glad he is doing so awesome. I can't wait to come see him again. He is such a little fighter! I will talk to you soon!

precious

precious