Thursday, February 3, 2011

Happy New Year!

GOODBYE 2010!!


I really don't think I will miss you.


This year has been a life altering year to say the least. It really was one of those years that when it rains, it POURS.

It was early January when I rolled my car with Lennon in it. I think that is every mothers worst nightmare. Luckily we were protected and everyone was okay... except now we had to buy a new car and sell B's so we didn't have two car payments.



Bummer.



Just days after the accident I found out I was pregnant! So exciting. We were thrilled. Lennon would have a buddy.



At about ten weeks pregnant I began having major complications. My placenta had torn from the uteran wall causing me to bleed. I was put on bedrest, told not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk, and that my Baby had a 50% chance of survival.





I spent the next four months on bedrest at my Mom and Dad's house so they could help me with Lennon. There was no way I could manage a 18 month old on bedrest. What a blessing to have family close by.

One night I wasn't feeling right. I was about 22 1/2 weeks pregnant and I could tell something wasn't normal. I had a huge gush of something (now I realize it was my water, not blood) just hours before and I just wasn't feeling good. I called my sister-in-law that next morning and asked if I could come in for an ultrasound just to check out the babe. I wanted to make sure things were okay. Luckily she was working that day. I dropped Lennon off with his Grandma Dorothy, dropped Becca off at my house (Farrah, Becca and my mom were packing up my kitchen for me. Getting ready to move away for law school) and met B at the hospital.



I laid down on the bed and knew from the look on Shantel's face that something wasn't right. I was DEVASTATED. My heart dropped. She then explained that the baby had no fluid around him. That I needed to go to the hospital asap. B and I looked at each other in complete shock! My water had broke and I wasn't in labor. Kind of a lot to swallow. Shantel said she could see a heartbeat still. That broke me even more. I didn't want my baby to suffer. Before I left the room I asked B to give me a blessing. I don't remember much but I do remember he said, "the baby will feel no pain." That was all that mattered at that point. I didn't want my angel to suffer. I looked at sweet Shantel and could tell her heart was broken as well. We exchanged hugs and left.


The car ride down to the hospital seemed like an eternity. What is going to happen? Am I going to have to push this baby out right now? How do you bury a child? Can I even do that? Am I strong enough? Our minds were racing. I called my sisters and told them I wasn't coming back to the house. I explained to them that my water had broken and they can meet me down at AF hospital.


Before I knew it... there we were. Sitting in an unlit room in AF hospital. B, my mom, my dad, Farrah and Becca. Everyone with blank stares and nothing to say. I remember laying in that bed silently broken. Tears streaming. I remember looking at B's face and it was completely blank. I could tell he was broken as well.


The doctor came in and asked what I wanted to do. They could take me back right then and take the baby, or I could go home until I go into labor. I told her I wanted to do whatever I could for the baby.


So homeward bound I went. I ended up being home for three days and was re-admitted to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center for two more days. Just enough to hear all the worst case scenarios and horrific statitstics. I received anti-biotics and steriods for the baby and two days later I was sent home until the following week.


I still was not in labor and finally made it to week 24. I checked in to the hospital and was there for the remainder of the summer.


It was the most trying time of my life. I didn't know how to prepare for the inevitable. This baby was coming but with all the risks that came along with having him, I thought I was going to die. It was torture laying there everyday knowing what was eventually going to happen and just praying for, literally, a miracle.


It was Fathers day. I prayed my heart out that my body would wait at least until the day after. I didn't want to ruin Fathers Day for B forever. I realized I wasn't in control and it was time.

June 20th, 2010. Holden Lloyd Nilsson was here. 2 pounds 5 ounces.






What a joy.








He remained in the NICU until the first week of September. He shocked everyone with his strength. The doctors couldn't explain it. All they could say was that he was a miracle. Only ventilated for one day! What a stud.



We had some ups and downs but somehow remained strong. Someone was definitely carrying us through.



Lennon got to meet his brother and it has been bliss for him ever since.


B had to put off school and his life was turned upside down.

But, we were all here and healthy as a family.


Holden has changed us forever.


This last year was unbelievable. It has taught me more about myself then I thought I could ever learn. Although I say it was the worst year of my life... I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. It changed me forever. I know how to love more. I know how to REALLY appreciate. I want to be better everyday. I have a more complete understanding of God. I know I would DIE without my family, both sides. I know how precious life is. I am grateful for eternal families. I have a greater appreciation of trials. I know not to sweat the small stuff. I remember to say 'I Love You' more.

These are just few of the many things I have learned. I think this next year my resolution will be to never forget all the things I have learned this year.
Our family was blessed with a miracle and I am so grateful.


This next year is going to be life changing as well. There are plenty of adventures in store for our family and I am ready!

Cheers to 2011!!


Please be good to us :)

8 comments:

Jeff and Brandi said...

What a year! Craziness. I 100% agree with everything you said and I really hope that neither of us have to go through it again:) Incredibly difficult but these little miracles are worth every second of it! I hope your 2011 is FANTASTIC! PS...what a little chunk! He looks great.

Brad & Donna said...

Wow Rach....you always make me cry when I read your blog!! What a tender post that was. And your little family is so precious. Holden truly is a miracle and every time I see him it makes me smile. He has just grown so much and is doing so well. What a lucky family you are to have him in your home. Love those two little boys....they will be grown up and out of your house before you know it. :)You are such a DARLING family. Love you guys~

Arden said...

Rachel, What a great way to have your history and I am so thankful for 2010 because we have you and Holden safe and sound. Such a cliche to say we are so blessed but we are and how lucky am I that you live here and I can see those two joys everyday. You will have more adventures because that is what life is. Just remember always your blessings. I love you, Mom

Suzette Baird said...

Wow Rachel your amazing and such a strong person. I cannot believe your strength and all you went through. The Rachel I know is the most hilarious person on the planet and so fun and wild all the time and you are also just the most amazing mother and have so much depth to you. You really are the most well rounded person I think I know in my life, I mean that.
Holden from day one has been the sweetest little baby and I really want to meet him in real life because I can only image how pure and sweet his spirit is. You are amazing Rachel and your blog and story has touched and affected so many people I am sure.
Here's to 2011, I am sure it will be such a wonderful, fun year for your family. I know I always say this but I would love to see you and get some friends from high school together, lots to catch up on. Your family is so amazing too!
Love you!

Farrah said...

tears. tears. and more tears. what do i even say that i havent already. this last year with YOU has taught ME so much. and to think that you can be SO low, to return and exceed your highest HIGH...its a testiment to the eternities. what a true and tangible MIRACLE we have all been able to witness and be apart of and i thank God for that every day. truly. and for you. i love you more than ever rachy. i love that your my sister...but even more that your my best friend:) and with that, i love your precious hilarious little fam. gonna miss you here REAL soon. bad.

Jamie said...

I love love this post. God really knew what he was doing when he sent little Holden to you. I know how much you appreciate every little detail of your kids. They are so wonderful and such angels. I am glad that I got to see you grow so much this year, even though it was so difficult for everyone. It has definitely taught me to squeeze my little nuggets tighter everyday too. Thanks for being such a great sister. I just love you so much and ditto to what Farrah said...I will miss you so much!

Dan and Heather said...

You have an amazing story, I love the way you write. 2011 better treat you good!!

Wendy said...

Hi Rachel!

So amazing that our boys were born only 1 ounce different! I agree - 2010 was one of the worst years ever but also one of the best. What am amazing experience PPROM was. Not one that I would wish on my worst enemy, however. And family makes all the difference.

So glad that you had a miracle too! Hears to a less eventful road through law school and an amazing 2011!!!

precious

precious