Thursday, June 17, 2010

Still here... and pregnant

So... Yesterday was a little crazy.

Started my day with a perinatologist appointment and got to see baby. She was concerned that I may be in pre-term labor. I have been having painful contractions and bleeding. I didn't think they were going to do anything about it and just let me go into labor, which that is the plan, but they wanted to start me on Magnesium and also give another "rescue" round of steroids for his lungs. I knew that was a sign that they thought I was going to have my baby soon.

So they gave me the steroid shot and then the magnesium. Magnesium was unbelievable. It feels like someone just injected you with the gnarliest flu. It made me so nauseous I threw up all over... poor b. He was holding the bag and trying not to vomit himself {now it is kind of funny}. I felt like I had been sunburned so bad. Unno when your laying down in bed after a good day in the sun and you get roasted and you can feel the heat coming off your body? That is what it feels like along with stomach and headaches. So all in all... that stuff is awesome. The reason they gave me the magnesium wasn't to stop labor, it was to help baby. It has been proven to help brain development in babies that are in the NICU.

I ended up going all night.
No baby.


I had stuff connected to every single limb. I didn't sleep so good but hey, one more day is great. The peri came in this morning and basically said they thought for sure I was going to have my baby last night. She also explained the magnesium and what it does. It was nice to hear that they are taking whatever measures they need to in order to give baby best case scenario. I know that a 27 week old baby is scary but like I have said this whole time, I have no control over this and I have no choice but to think positive until I am handed something otherwise.

As of now we are just waiting to see how my body reacts. If I go into labor, they won't stop it. If I go a few more days, they will do another round of magnesium... man o man. So I will try to keep everyone updated and please keep praying.

O and we like the name Holden.

So keep our little Holden in your prayers.


XOXO.

7 comments:

the dunns said...

I had to be on mag when I had Dakota and it really is the suckiest drug in the whole world, but they just started using it for all the preterm stuff and the outcomes have been really positive.

Hang in there.... you have come so far!

Jamie said...

Ya, that magnesium is pretty horrible! I know exactly what you mean about feeling like your skin is on fire. My face swelled up so bad I was almost unrecognizable! Well, one more day is good...every day you can hold on is for the best, even though it freaking sucks! Love you!

the fowlers said...

this is james fowler's wife, bradie. i found your blog through friends of friends or something. hopefully you don't think that's too weird.

we haven't met, but i met b that summer in spokane and i have heard nothing but great things about you. james thinks you are both fantastic. i just wanted to let you know we're thinking about you and praying for your family.

oh, and holden is one of my favorite names. it sounds perfect.

Shantell said...

Love the name Holden. Sorry about the mag. I had that with London and it really is the worst stuff ever. You are in our prayers. The kids all pray for you and the baby everyday. They loved seeing you on Sunday, although Asher was sad because he thought he would get to see his new cousin. Love you!

Azy said...

rach whats this magnesium all about?? OUCH cha cha! way to stick in there and good for B holding that bag for you... we will pray for baby Holden things are sounding better and better for this lil guy everyday. keep up all the good work! LOVES u XO

steph heartjustin said...

Rach you can snuggle him whenever you want. I feel horrible that I haven't been by to see you, I want you to know that I care, I just know that when you feel like crap the last thing that you want is a visitor in your room, just wanting to chat. So I will come, but only when you want me too. Hang in there darlin.. your so strong,everyday is a new day. Prayers are coming your way! Holden .. I like it!

Jeff and Brandi said...

Hang in there girl! So sorry about the Mag. I was on it for 10 days and I have never felt so horrible in my life. They took me off for 12 hrs sometime in the middle and it was so nice...then they come in and say we have to start it again and I started bawling. It is HORRIBLE! You are doing so awesome! Keep staying positive and pregnant. All this time will be so worth it once you look back. PS...love the name!

precious

precious