Sunday, June 20, 2010

a real miracle...

its me, farrah, rachel's sister. im going to be posting and updating you all on rachel, b, and baby holden. oh, our sweet little baby holden.

last night, rachel starting bleeding. she started contracting as well. all through the night the bleeding never let up and her contractions became very consistent and painful...about every 5 minutes. the staff kept a really close watch on her and the baby, and about 6am the doctor came through the door and told rachel she has a choice to make.

after praying all night through her contractions, she felt strongly that there really wasn't a choice and that her little holden needed to join us. the doctor checked her and she was dialated to a four and completely effaced. he looked at her and told her how right she was and they took her in immediately for the c-section.

in fact, moments before the doctor even walked through the door, rachel told B to get ready cause little holden will be arriving shortly. not 5 minutes later, the doc came in. what a true miracle too, that rachel felt that intuition and followed through with it. she very well could've ignored it and they could've waited, but when the procedure was done they informed us all that if holden had not come at that very second he did, things would've been....much different.... thank you rachel for your strong will to follow your heart...and listen.

they performed the c-section, with B in the room. as soon as they saw little holden's bumb, they asked B to come have a first look at his new precious fighter. i think B is still in shock from the whole scene, but what a strong solid person he is. he has taken this all in, and been there. been there for rachel....especially there for rachel...physically, mentally and emotionally. bouying her up and keeping her alive, and breathing. i love you b...so much. i couldn't be more grateful for you, to be the one to hold rachels hand through all of this and be so so strong. wow. that's why i have a really special place in my heart for you. you have taken such good good care of my very best friend...our sister...and daughter. we love you. thank you.

as soon as rachel was through, they wheeled her back to her room, and as she entered the room, she went into hysterics...much deserved if you ask me. she freaked out. the doctor literally came in and tranquilized her. she kept saying 'wow'...'wow'...'that was so so so hard'. it was....and that phrase is an understatement.

she fell asleep. finally. she fell asleep. she was snoring. finally. she was resting. i was so happy to walk in the room and see her with her mouth gaping open...snoring under her oxygen mask. i cried. i was crying before then, but i cried when i saw her asleep. finally, she can sleep. but only for a time. she woke up, came too, and never stopped talking...can't blame her.

during that time of rachel's rest, the doctors and nurses were working on little holden. getting all his tubes, monitors, ventilators, and everything else going, to get him stabilized. the one word rachel has been asking to hear, praying her little heart out to hear...that one crucial and life-changing word. stabilized. it came. he is stabilized.

he is stabilized. he swallowed a lot of blood, so the first few seconds of his life were focused on that. getting all that sucked out and under control. it is under control. his lungs look good, and looking better and better by the minute. his heart is strong. his brain looks perfect. he has already peed...his kidneys are working well, and as for his oxygen levels, well, they aren't having to assist him with that as much as they anticipated. he looks perfect. his skin is very pink, he is perfect from head to toe, his muscle mass is great...squirming a lot more than normal...which is really really good. looks like a really small newborn:) he weighed in at 2 pounds 5 ounces, surprisingly large...considering. and thats for real. that is very good for his gestational age...27 weeks and 4 days. miracle.

i know this is long, and it may just get longer. when i walked into the hospital room and saw rachel sleeping, the spirit overtook me, and i could literally feel my heart swell. the room was so quiet. so calm. everyone around her had wet faces with tears, weeping. but quietly. everyone in there own Heaven...literally. that little hospital room was one very sacred room...at that time. as rachel layed there, i sobbed. i thought to myself...your done rach. that is done. no more of that...rach. i sobbed some more, quietly, and looked at her again and thought, wow, i never knew such a strong bond existed...between sisters. it took everything not to stroke her head or hold her hand. it took everything not to wake her. i can honestly say that rachel is the toughest person i know. what she has been through, and conquered so far, i still can't wrap my mind around. to see her at her lowest, but stay so strong...and fight...the only word i can think of is insprirational. truly. to see her fully submit herself to the Lord, and submit the future to Him, yet stay faithful and fight for her wish, her prayer, her most desired gift of all, is truly a miracle in and of itself.

rachel, i can't find the words...i can only say thank you. thank you for being who you are, fully and completely, always. you are unbelievably strong. brave. and tough. so tough. we love you so much. i know what you would wish for me to say right now. and i will...right now.

this is what i hear rachel saying if she were to write right now:

everyone: family...friends...acquaintances...neighbors....strangers...everyone...thank you for your prayers. thank you so much. if i could ask one more thing from any of you who have tuned in to our long and difficult journey...please keep praying...for my little holden...please. we feel them, and i know he does too. that is all we can do...and i beg of you to join us in calling to the heavens in prayer, for him. i promised him while i held him in my tummy all those long days and nights, that if you fight, i'll fight. you fought, and i'm still fighting, and im asking you to all join in the fight...and pray pray pray. i love you all so so so much. thank you, everyone. thank you.

ps...everyone who wishes to join us in fasting tomorrow for our new precious arrival, please know you are more than welcome. thank you again and again!

ill keep posting, until rach feels up to it.

19 comments:

Jeff and Brandi said...

Rachel and fam! Congrats. I am so happy for you guys that little Holden is here and so big for a 27 weeker. You guys are so strong and having been there, I know how you are feeling right now. It is overwhelming, exciting, scary, and very hard to describe until you've lived it. It is going to be an up and down journey for the next little bit. Stay strong and positive. The NICU is a special place and the doctors, nurses, and RTs are amazing. Miracles happen there every day. I can't wait to see pictures of the little miracle man. I'm sure he is absolutely adorable!

bj+anne+brody+macie+lucy+ellie said...

All I can say is WOW. I am so glad that things went so well and that your family is feeling strength. Keep the posts coming Farrah. Our prayers are with you all. WAY TO BE RACH!

maggie said...

I love you Rachel.
You are amazing.

Suzette Baird said...

Rachel, You are so amazing and strong. I think about you all the time and I am so happy you are finally resting and that your little Holden is here with you. My prays are with you and your little family.

Arden said...

THANK YOU FARRAH AND BECCA, YOU ARE MY ROCKS. ALL I CAN SAY RIGHT NOW IS AMEN! THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL IS PEEKING THROUGH. I LOVE MY FAMILY SO MUCH AND AM SO GRATEFUL FOR THE LORD AND HIS WISDOM AND LOVE. RACHEL, YOU ARE AMAZING AND THIS TIME TOGETHER IS CHERISHED. I LOVE YOU, MOM

kennan said...

rachel... you are amazing.

congrats.

love little holden for fighting. what a miracle!

congrats.

KATIE HOFHEINS said...

Oh my goodness. Thanks so much for the update. Way to go Rachel. I'm so glad Holden made it.

Allison said...

I just read this and got so emotional... I have just been thinking about rachel and b a lot lately. especially since we have the same dr, and had our babies just a week apart. I am so so glad that he is okay, and that things are looking good for little baby. I have kept you guys in my prayers and hope that everything continues to go well.

St. Julien's said...

What a miracle. We are all so relieved and greatful and hopeful that things keep going well. We will keep you in our prayers. Keep fighting little Holden you are a little miracle!!

Auntie Elaine said...

Thanks for the incredible post Farrah - you are Rachel are SO lucky to have each other and your family! You have ALL truly been an inspiration to me. Keep the faith my friends - we love you!

Azy said...

farrah thanks so much for posting that i have been dying to know whats been going on & i am so happy that you shared! Rach you are amazing and a fighter and so is your little Holden. we love your family so so very much! So happy for this miracle of yours and i can't wait to meet little Holden! We will continue to fast and pray for your family. Sending our love like always XOXO

PAUL + ALICIA+CAPRI said...

I am so glad little Holden is here, he is such a fighter, that is amazing! The power of prayer is so incredible! Rach you are so strong, so many people love you and care about you and your cute little family! I swear I check your blog everyday cause I am so worried, we'll be praying for you guys!

Nic & Trudi said...

Rachel you are seriously amazing. My mom has been keeping me updated on what's been going on and she's been telling me about all her visits with you. Thank you for being such an inspiration to her. She loves you. We all do. You have really inspired me to keep on going even when I think things are tough, I know that there's always a purpose to keep on going. Congratulations on your new addition to your family. Heavenly Father definitely loves you and especially little Holden. We have been praying for you and will continue to pray for you and little Holden.

p.s. I love his name!!

Chris Capua said...

besus, richard, i love you guys. for real

annie and jared said...

rach... i love you so much. I am so glad that you are doing so well, and I completely agree with farrah, you are SO STRONG. i never knew just how strong my best friend was until I saw you go through all of this. Little holden will do well, i just know it. I am so glad you have all of your family there, and that you have such good sisters (thanks far for posting :) love you, hang in there.

Jamie said...

Thanks for letting me come visit tonight. he's amazing and so are you Rach! Farrah, you make me cry. I'm so grateful to have the two of you in my life. My heart just about burst when I saw that little guy. I can't believe how great he's doing. What a fighter. Thank you so much again. I love being your sister. Our family is amazing...absolutely amazing. I can't even describe it. Love you both! And B...you're the man! Love all of you!

laura said...

Wow farrah, thank you. Oh Richard, when i saw the picture of Holden on Face book for the first time a peace came over me because my BFFE (Best friend For Eternity) was ok and so was her baby. It broke my heart to see my friend in so much pain and not be able to help. That is the worst feeing, when someone you love is in pain emotionally and physically and there is nothing you can do for them. Your are an amazing person and i am not surprised a bit about how strong you are, that i knew. Im so lucky to have such an amazing friend. Your husband is a real dream. Love all of your guts-

The Ellis Fam said...

Rachel, WOW! I haven't seen or talked to you forever but I jumped on your blog last week after your fb post saying you had updated it. I had no idea that I would read what I did. I was having such a bad day for the dumbest reasons and your positive attitude touched me. I can't imagine what the last few months have been like for you. Your story has been on my mind pretty much nonstop since I read it and I wanted you to know that we are praying for you. You and your sweetness, Holden. May God bless you with a swift recovery and may he also bless your baby to continue to fight.
All my love, Caroline McEvoy Ellis

Anonymous said...

Rachel, Congrats! I have been thinking about you so much. Amber told me that she saw you and I haven't been able to stop thinking about you and baby Holden since. I hope you are doing alright. I can only imagine the scary things you are going through right now. But, it is so nice to know that people are educated enough to keep baby Holden healthy and thriving. And, it is so wonderful to know that miracles do happen and that this little baby of yours is one of those miracles. Good luck with everything. Feel free to call me to take Lennon if you need a babysitter. Seriously. My kids would love a new friend. 801-837-9271. Good luck. We'll be praying for you guys.

precious

precious